WHO, World Bank, IMF and WTO propose pandemic plan
Leaders of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank, World Trade Organization (WTO) and World Health Organization (WHO) unveiled plans to increase global access to COVID vaccines -19 and end the pandemic more quickly. on a Release Published in several newspapers around the world on Tuesday (1), the leaders called on the governments of the richest countries to boost fundraising and donate more vaccines to the poorest countries. The donation will not only be used to improve the global distribution of vaccines, but also to prevent the emergence of new forms of coronavirus and the need for more pandemic restrictions around the world.
Organizations estimate that an additional investment of $ 50 billion could quickly end epidemics in developing countries, reduce infections and loss of life, accelerate economic recovery and further increase global production by 2025. could generate an economic benefit of $ 9 trillion. is based on a collective effort and coordinated global action Study past of the IMF.
âEveryone wins,â say the executives, who estimate that about 60% of those gains will go to emerging markets and developing economies, with the remaining 40% going to the developed world – âinvaluable benefits for life and health “. Apart from. people”.
“It has become absolutely clear that there will be no global recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic without ending the health crisis,” the joint statement said. “Access to immunization is essential for both.” The letter was released in preparation for the G7 meeting in the UK next week.
This Friday (4), the Managing Director of the IMF, Kristalina Georgieva, is expected to present the vaccination expansion plan at the meeting of G7 finance ministers in London.
what needs to be done
The IMF and the World Bank had already warned last year that the pandemic would delay progress in the poorest countries, leading to increased poverty. Now organizations say a lack of access to vaccines will prolong the pandemic.
First, more people need to be vaccinated faster, officials said. WHO and its Covax initiative aim to immunize around 30% of the population in all countries by the end of this year. The group says that target could rise to 40% with new agreements and investments, and to at least 60% by mid-2222.
Achieving these numbers would require additional investment in low- and middle-income countries, mostly in the form of grants and concessions, in addition to an immediate donation of supplements to developing countries.
Second, there is a reduced risk of emergence of new forms of coronavirus that may require a booster dose. For this, it is necessary to increase the production capacity of vaccines and to diversify production in other areas.
Third, immediate improvement in testing and contact tracing, oxygen supply, medical science and public health measures. The group also urged WTO members to step up negotiations for practical solutions on vaccine intellectual property.
global vaccine distribution
According to surveillance, more than 2 billion doses of vaccines against the new coronavirus have already been put in place in at least 176 countries. bloomberg. This amount would be enough to vaccinate 13.2% of the planet’s population. However, the global distribution is far from proportional, as wealthier countries and regions are vaccinated 30 times faster than low-income countries.
To illustrate the vaccine access gap, the Bloomberg survey shows that the 27 richest places have 28.6% of vaccines, compared to only 10.4% of the world’s population.
For example, the United States has 4.3% of the world’s population, but 15.2% of all COVID vaccines worldwide have been implemented in a country in North America.
Low-income countries have so far received less than 1% of total vaccines. according to a good relations The Rockefeller Foundation recently reported that half of Americans and a quarter of Europeans have received at least a first dose of the vaccine, compared to only 14% in South America, 4.8% in Asia and 1.2% in Africa already vaccinated. . left. . With the current rate of vaccination around the world, it will take more than a year for global immunity to prevent infections. IMF, WHO, WTO and World Bank note that a two-pronged pandemic is underway; Rich countries have access to immunization and the poorest are left behind.
The Quadrilateral group says: âWhile some of the more prosperous countries are already discussing recall campaigns for their populations, most people in developing countries – even frontline workers – have yet to receive their first. dose. not found. âUneven vaccination is negative for everyone, even for countries with advanced vaccination.