‘Masked Singer’ Fans Might Have Deciphered Hydra’s Secret Identity
The Masked Singer Season 7 is now airing on Fox, and the Hydra is one of the most intriguing costumes on this year’s show.
The three heads make us think there are three people inside the suit, like when Hanson was inside Russian Dolls two seasons ago. However, the fact that it also has three legs pretty much confirms that there are two people inside.
With that knowledge and the first packet of clues, Fox Singing Contest viewers think they’ve figured out exactly which famous duo might be behind Hydra.
Read on to find out who masked singer viewers think it’s in Hydra’s suit and the clues they used to get there.
Who is the hydra in “The Masked Singer”?
The clues that revealed it to the in-the-know celebrities were the Miami water skis, the shark, the beach ball, and the ATM (the fact that the clue package was gum-themed being another possible pointer) .
Another clue sent the judges in the wrong direction. A magic eight ball with a three on it that says “Ask your amigos” made the judges think it was the three amigos inside the suit, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin and Martin Short. Unfortunately, Short and Martin are busy filming season 2 of Only murders in the building. The same goes for Steve Buscemi’s other judge’s guess, John Goodman and Jeff Bridges. Goodman is busy filming a network sitcom, and it just doesn’t seem like the kind of show Oscar-winning star Jeff Bridges is interested in.
As for Ken Jeong’s claim that he has “Will Smith vibes…” while Smith certainly needs some reputation management right now, appearing on The Masked Singer just days after winning an Oscar would certainly be a sideways move for a man who has earned over $40 million in 2020.
A slightly more plausible suggestion was Jack Black, possibly with Tenacious D teammate Kyle Gass. Black voiced the eponymous shark in shark storyand once made a documentary titled Save Miami. But again, the Hydra doesn’t look much like Black, who again is perhaps a bit too famous for this year’s cast, which so far has been distinctly C-list.
That leaves only one plausible fan theory: the magicians Penn and Teller.
For a, masked singer Twitter is full of fans who think Hydra’s singing voice sounds exactly like Penn Jillette’s speaking voice.
Then there are the clues:
- Waterskiing in Miami: The two stars made appearances on the TV show miami vice: Penn in 1985 and Teller in 1987.
- The shark: In their Off the deep special, Teller appeared to be placed in a wooden box in shark-infested waters. Additionally, when the couple appeared on a 1999 episode of The simpsons (another Fox show at masked singer), Teller is seen being lowered into a tank full of sharks. Additionally, Penn also starred in Sharknado 3and the pair could definitely be considered “card sharks”.
- The Beach Ball: The clue package showed Hydra stomping on a beach ball with a bull on it. The couple hosted Penn & Teller: Bullshit!a show where they “cut out” pseudoscience and other fraudulent activities.
- ATM: i.e. a TELLER ATM.
- The Gum: A bit more tenuous connection here, but the pair once made an appearance on the Dr. Oz Show to debunk the claim that chewing gum stays in your stomach for seven years if you swallow it.
- At another point in the clue packet, we see a string of red lights from the Solo cup. Some have read this as a reference to the bilboquet trick often played by Penn and Teller.
- The Magic Eight Ball: The fact that the ball had a “three” on it was one of the clues viewers pointed to that there’s a trio in the suit. Others, meanwhile, saw it as a reference to the pair’s regular use of three clubs in their card tricks – so chosen by many television magicians because they read well on the camera.
The Masked Singer Season 7 airs Wednesdays at 8 p.m. ET on Fox.